Programmer (Gameplay AI)Business Area / Division: Code
At Rebellion Oxford we are looking for an AI Programmer to join our other AI specialists writing C++ code that will form part of the overall gameplay AI on one of our exciting projects, for both PC and consoles, within the framework of Rebellion’s proprietary engine AI systems. As you will be joining an experienced game team who work efficiently and quickly on cutting-edge technology, you will need to be able to quickly familiarise yourself with a large existing codebase and learn new skills as you work.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Experience & Qualifications:
Ideally we are looking for at least 2 years’ experience in the games industry, working on a major console and successfully implementing AI techniques into a game, however exceptional candidates who can demonstrate a personal project incorporating AI algorithms will also be considered. A strong academic background is preferred with a 1st class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject, or equivalent professional games programming experience.
- Develop and implement cutting-edge, intuitive artificial intelligence solutions for next-gen gameplay, debugging, maintaining and extending your own and existing AI code
- Write robust and maintainable code, optimising code and data for memory usage and performance per platform
- Meet game design and technical requirements as well as internal coding standards, communicating with designers, artists and other coders to ensure AI satisfies game requirements and quality
- Identify and solve development obstacles or risks that arise, suggesting improvements and implementing solutions to improve performance and reliability
- Write and maintain technical documentation
- Research new tools, techniques and processes and how they can benefit Rebellion
- Collaborate productively within a large multi-disciplined project team environment, communicating ideas and issues clearly, and supporting all coders on your team as required
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
- Excellent C++ skills at a professional level
- Strong object-orientated programming and technical design, profiling and optimising, system design and 3D math skills, with sound knowledge of AI techniques (FSMs, path finding, behaviour trees, etc)
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills under pressure
- Capable of quickly familiarising yourself to work with a large existing codebase, learning new systems and concepts and implementing them quickly and efficiently
- Ability to structure and build a large system with others, working on a system from conception to completion, prototyping as well as producing final code
- Good spoken and written communication skills, able to collaborate productively, communicating ideas and issues clearly to non-technical staff
- Great team-work with game developers from all disciplines across the project, and the ability to accept and follow direction, with excellent initiative, self-motivation and organisational skills
- General knowledge of current games, consoles, multiplayer development, and/or development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce or other version control systems would be an advantage
- A genuine interest in playing games