Programmer (Gameplay AI)Business Area / Division: Code
At Rebellion Oxford we are looking for an AI Programmer to join our other AI specialists writing C++ code that will form part of the overall gameplay AI on one of our exciting projects, for both PC and next-gen consoles, within the framework of Rebellion’s proprietary engine AI systems. As you will be joining an experienced game team who work efficiently and quickly on cutting-edge technology, you will need to be able to quickly familiarise yourself with a large existing codebase and learn new skills as you work.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Experience & Qualifications:
Ideally we are looking for at least 2 years’ experience in the games industry, working on a major console and successfully implementing AI techniques into a game, however exceptional candidates who can demonstrate a personal project incorporating AI algorithms will also be considered. A strong academic background is preferred with a 1st class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject, or equivalent professional games programming experience.
- Develop and implement cutting-edge, intuitive artificial intelligence solutions for next-gen gameplay, debugging, maintaining and extending your own and existing AI code
- Write robust and maintainable code, optimising code and data for memory usage and performance per platform
- Meet game design and technical requirements as well as internal coding standards, communicating with designers, artists and other coders to ensure AI satisfies game requirements and quality
- Identify and solve development obstacles or risks that arise, suggesting improvements and implementing solutions to improve performance and reliability
- Write and maintain technical documentation
- Research new tools, techniques and processes and how they can benefit Rebellion
- Collaborate productively within a large multi-disciplined project team environment, communicating ideas and issues clearly, and supporting all coders on your team as required
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
- Excellent C++ skills at a professional level
- Strong object-orientated programming and technical design, profiling and optimising, system design and 3D math skills, with sound knowledge of AI techniques (FSMs, path finding, behaviour trees, etc)
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills under pressure
- Capable of quickly familiarising yourself to work with a large existing codebase, learning new systems and concepts and implementing them quickly and efficiently
- Ability to structure and build a large system with others, working on a system from conception to completion, prototyping as well as producing final code
- Good spoken and written communication skills, able to collaborate productively, communicating ideas and issues clearly to non-technical staff
- Great team-work with game developers from all disciplines across the project, and the ability to accept and follow direction, with excellent initiative, self-motivation and organisational skills
- General knowledge of current games, consoles, multiplayer development, and/or development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce or other version control systems would be an advantage
- A genuine interest in playing games