Programmer (Runcorn)Business Area / Division: Code
We are looking for more C++ gameplay programmers at Rebellion Runcorn, our satellite studio close to Liverpool with a close-knit team of development staff, supported by our industry-leading bespoke in-house game engine and custom tools suite.
This is a unique opportunity to work on some of Rebellion’s best-selling IP as the studio is currently working on 2 brand-new unannounced titles for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and PC. A genuine interest in playing games is essential, especially the first and third-person shooters which the studio specialises in.
This role is full-time, based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or in-house contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Qualifications & Experience:
At least 1 year of professional C++ console games programming experience is required, but we are open to a range of experience, from juniors to seniors, and responsibilities can be adjusted accordingly. Juniors must provide a portfolio and/or sample code with their application. A strong academic background is preferred with a 1st class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject.
- Develop and implement new gameplay code, including features such as strategy, mechanics, logic, combat systems, AI, UI, audio code, etc
- Meet game design and technical requirements as well as internal coding standards
- Maintain and debug your own and existing code
- Write and maintain technical documentation
- Optimise code and data for memory usage and performance per console
- Identify and solve development obstacles or risks that arise
- Collaborate productively, communicating ideas and issues clearly across disciplines, and liaising effectively with development staff in both Runcorn and Oxford
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
- Excellent C/C++ skills at a professional level
- Ability to quickly familiarise yourself to work with a large existing codebase
- Ability to prototype as well as producing final code
- Strong debugging, profiling and optimising, system design and 3D math skills
- Good spoken and written communication skills, as well as teamworking with game developers from all disciplines across the project
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, organisational and problem solving skills, with the ability to accept and follow direction
- Any knowledge of PlayStation 4 or Xbox One development, multiplayer development, and/or development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce/other version control systems would be an advantage