Programmer (Build Engineer)Business Area / Division: Code
Rebellion now needs our first dedicated Build Engineer. You will have primary responsibility for looking after our site-wide build machines for current games and improving continuous integration so we’re looking for someone with special interest in improving workflow and processes. You would also manage releases of our back catalogues and be involved in engine testing and tools development. We are open to training up a graduate for this role so if you are interested in the field, dedicated, willing to learn and can show us your hobby programming, then feel free to apply even if you don’t yet have all the skills/experience listed below.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Experience & Qualifications:
Games experience would be an advantage but is not essential if you have some experience of creating robust, maintainable systems and C++, whether professional or hobby. Any experience in designing, building and/or maintaining automated build systems would also be an advantage. A strong academic background is preferred with a 1st class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject, or equivalent professional experience.
- Maintain and develop build machines and management systems
- Improve continuous integration processes (eg. updating/replacing/improving CruiseControl.net and Jenkins)
- Create installers (Installshield, etc) for PC and Mac games
- Create scripts to automate package creation for console games
- Manage releases of Rebellion’s back catalogue PC games via Steam and other online stores
- Test automation for QA
- Test for engine correctness (eg. make sure rendering test scenes doesn’t change from one day to the next)
- Improve processes for eBook generation for the book/comic Publishing teams
- Tools programming (maintaining existing tools written in C++ & writing new ones)
- Maintain Mantis bug tracker and help with other general IT tasks (eg. Perforce server admin, PC setup & deployment)
- Excellent use of continuous integration platforms such as CruiseControl.NET and Jenkins
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills under pressure
- Knowledge of scripting languages, for example Perl, Lua, Python, MaxScript would be useful
- Any experience of C++, Perforce and Mantis would be useful
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation and organisational skills, able to collaborate productively within larger multi-disciplined project team environments, communicating ideas and issues clearly
- Great team-work and the ability to accept and follow direction
- A genuine interest in playing games