Web Designer (Junior to Experienced)Business Area / Division: Web
At Rebellion Oxford we are looking for an enthusiastic and pro-active Web Designer, talented in front-end web design and interaction, to join our existing web development department. This role is predominantly weighted towards front-end design and programming, taking care of interfaces and usability, but will also requires some interaction/usage of PHP and the ability to help out with light back-end programming tasks, as required. Successful applicants without current PHP experience will be expected to learn a working knowledge of this on the job.
A unique chance to play a pivotal role in connecting one of the UK’s leading independent media companies directly with their growing worldwide audience of consumers, from websites to web-based software projects, game servers and ecommerce.
This role is full-time, based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or in-house contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Please include a link to your portfolio of web design examples, clearly stating your level of involvement in each case.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
For those applying for a Junior role, talented graduates who can demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of front-end web design and development will be considered, but 1 year of professional experience of front-end web design and development is desirable. Also, a working knowledge of PHP would be an advantage. For those applying for a more experienced role, we are looking for a minimum of 3 years professional experience.
A strong academic background is also preferred, with a degree in interaction/graphic design, computing, science, mathematics or similar or equivalent industry experience. (Games industry experience is not required as this is not a games-development role.)
- Design, implement, test and maintain websites, focusing on front-end design, interaction and usability
- Work to functional and project-specific aesthetic briefs, within technical limitations
- Design sample/mock-up page layouts and/or wireframes
- Streamline and implement logical menu flow and function of interfaces
- Design graphics, web animations and manipulate digital images and photographs
- Design visual imagery and ensuring it's in line with company branding policy
- Support our PHP programmers in the implementation and maintenance of back-end systems
- General web administration such as uploading new content for different departments
- Ad-hoc support to our in-house customer service team, to assist them to resolve technical and transaction related customer queries
- Document processes and task tracking, with great attention to detail
- Research new tools, techniques and processes and how they can benefit Rebellion
- Collaborate productively with all web team members, as well as our marketing department and multi-disciplined game development staff, communicating ideas and issues clearly
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and high quality standards
- Strong flair for creative front-end web design and interaction, with excellent attention to detail and awareness of usability issues
- Ability to wireframe and/or prototype and to grasp new concepts and tools quickl
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, communication, organisational and problem solving skill
- Good communication and team-working skills as well as the ability to accept and follow directio
- Working knowledge of any of the following would also be a bonus: IDEs, debugging, logging, automated testing (PHPUnit, TDD), version control systems (Git, Perforce, SVN), Agile methodologies, linux OS and command line tools
The successful candidate will be expected to learn these skills on the job, if not already know.
Working knowledge of PHP and MySQL
Knowledge and experience of OOP and MVC frameworks (ideally Laravel)