Designer - TechnicalBusiness Area / Division: Design
Rebellion is looking for a talented Technical Designer with a critical eye for technical details, familiarity with scripting/programming and a passion for problem solving.
You are competent in both system and level design, but are known for being detail-oriented with advanced technical skills when compared to other designers. As part of a multidisciplinary team, you will help shape the architecture for new game systems as well as create and implement the more complex technical design elements into the game.
You should be excellent at rapidly prototyping ideas and capable of quickly turning a design specification from paper into a usable game system that is easy for content creators to use.
A Technical Designer should be able to get quickly familiarized with our proprietary scripting systems. You should also have a strong design sense and an ability to create content and features that fans of our games will love.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford studio. We are open to both permanent or fixed-term employment but not freelance, agencies or remote working. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
We are looking for a minimum of 4 years’ professional experience in a Technical Design, Gameplay Engineering, or similar position, with experience in all phases of development from inception to ship, having shipped at least one console or PC game title.
- Create robust gameplay components and tools for the content team
- Maintain usability and quality of gameplay components in levels
- Lead the way in advocating best practices to the content team
- Work closely with other Rebellion disciplines to implement game mechanics
- Take feedback from the design team to improve workflows and support features
- Excellent understanding of the design principles behind games
- Good understanding of software engineering principles
- Able to collaborate with other designers, programmers/engineers and other staff at all levels
- Able to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve
- Expertise and passion in one or more of the following areas: AI, Animation, General Gameplay, Tools
- A genuine interest in playing games