Junior Graphic DesignerBusiness Area / Division: Production
Rebellion, with its legendary comics imprint 2000 AD and award-winning fiction lists Solaris and Abaddon Books, is seeking a graphic designer to join its busy print publishing design department in Oxford. We will consider junior designers with real promise and senior designers with a proven track record in illustrated book and/or magazine production.
On a weekly basis the person in this role will work closely as part of a small team handling all design requirements, including logo, cover and internal design for: the weekly comic 2000 AD, the monthly comic and magazine the Judge Dredd Megazine, graphic novels and front-list paperback and hardback novels and ebooks. Alongside this there are opportunities to design artwork for book covers, merchandise and adverts as well as one-off special projects.
The suitable candidate/s will be able to demonstrate exceptional design skills using Adobe Creative Suite and have an active interest in visual culture including comics. Candidates able to demonstrate a knowledge of print production and the ability to overcome production problems in concert with printers will be viewed with added interest.
This role is full-time, based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or in-house contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
There may be scope to produce single image artwork in this design role, however this position is not a platform for submitting or producing artwork for Rebellion-published comics and graphic novels.
Please supply a portfolio/examples of graphic design work along with your CV.
Qualifications & Experience:
A graphic design qualification plus professional experience of magazine, comic or book production would be preferred but is not essential if you have an outstanding graphic design portfolio and great potential.
Duties will include:
- Cover-to-cover comic and book design
- Flowing in text and laying out interior pages for novels
- Prepping comic strip pages for print
- Scanning/colour correction and image manipulation
- Making corrections and final pdfs
- Assembling the files for graphic novels
- Designing advertisements
- Using existing archive artwork inventively and sensitively, in adverts and for merchandise
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Familiarity with Quark will be useful
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, organisational and problem solving skills
- A comprehensive understanding of visual design
- Excellent communication skills, as well as teamworking and the ability to accept and follow direction
- The ability to produce artwork, or artwork elements in design will be an advantage
- The successful candidate will come with or be required to swiftly develop a broad knowledge of our archive to source and choose images for external licensees and others